In search of the perfect post!

When I started my blog, I had many different objectives, including:

1. Improving my practice by reflecting on my professional experiences
2. Collating all the websites, resources, ideas and articles with which Twitter provides me
3. Housing some of the work that I have completed for my Masters
4. Reminding me to strive to improve

… I’m sure there were many others.

However, unexpectedly, I frequently struggle to reconcile the post that I’d like to make with the post that I’ve managed to put together and often end up posting nothing.

The positive side of this is that it has brought me to a greater understanding of the experiences of my students – fear of judgement hampering creativity. The negative side of this is that I worry about actually hampering the reflective process.

Then I came across this list from Corbett Barr. Having challenged himself to write a post each day for 30 days, Corbett reflected upon his, sometimes surprising but always thoughtful learnings.

Number 6 was the one that resonated the most with me. He writes:

“By publishing more frequently, I found myself writing more for me, instead of writing for what other people think. I’m not sure why this is, but I ended up caring more about the work than the response it solicited.”

Now, I have never had a comment on my blog and in my head I think this has turned into the following dialogue:

“Ahh, no one has commented. That means no-one is reading what you write.”
“I don’t mind. I’m writing for myself, to reflect, to grow.”
“Well, maybe people are reading what you write but it’s too meaningless or obvious for them to comment on”
“Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh”

This, of course, makes posting increasingly difficult. So, to silence the mean little voice, I am reminding myself of my reasons for writing and planning to do the 30 day challenge myself for the month of March. Each day, I’m inspired by my students, my colleagues or something I read and I want to remember that these learnings, these inspirations are worth recognising and sharing. Isn’t that the perfect post?

Thanks, Corbett, for your help!

3 Comments on In search of the perfect post!

1. raff
    February 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm (2 years ago)

I look forward to following and reading your thought provoking posts :)

2. shobbs
    February 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for your encouragement, Clare!

3. Corbett Barr
    February 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm (2 years ago)

Happy to help :) Let me know how the experiment goes, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.